Greg, nice post and I really like your project - partly because it reminds me of one I have done.

Fresh out of HS, Dad became an apprentice machinist at Allied Chem in the 30s. He progressed well, became a master and eventually supervised a big machine shop at a large eastern petroleum refinery. Before long, they plucked him to do more advanced stuff in the place and he did so for 30 more years. But, he never lost his skills and love for machine work, and often went to work in custom shops on weekends, and then in retirement, because he loved it. As a little kid, I would look for shavings in his pants cuffs when he came home from work, and after he moved up in the refinery I would see his well-worn and oil stained machinist tool box sitting on his work bench in our basement.

When dad died, Mom asked if I would like to have the box and the "stuff in it" (would I ever ??) and so, on the flight home from his funeral I managed to haul it onto the plane wrapped in brown paper. Once we moved up here, I got to work trying to make it look as good as possible - a LOT of cleaning and resto but so very worth the work. It sits here in my reloading room - and sometimes I get to use the goodies in there while working on firearms, old trucks and other stuff.

Some pics:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have fun with yours - it will probably look a lot better than this one.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron