I've not bothered to read this thread from end to end, but we need to recognize that public land grazing permits are a privilege and not an inalienable right. In pre-agency days, might did make right. The one that got there first with the most cattle, or the one that controlled water could and did dictate policy. Those days left though in the 1930's when the ranching communities were begging the government to do something about unregulated grazing. One could try to set aside or safe some forage for winter use, and one with no property at all could waltz in with a herd or band and ravage the ground. Select folks were thrown off the land then, and some select folks were allowed to stay.

Here in eastern Oregon probably 80% of our county is public land supporting the cattle industry. I fully back those grazing programs, feel they offer several benefits to the landscape and wildlife, and hope they will continue.

In this instance, however, when one is dealing with a T&E critter, some accomodations need to be made by both sides. Given time and patience, other permits will be available as they are abandoned by others and life could continue.

A long history on the land, however, often leads to the feeling that one rules that domain. I've known a rancher or two that actually buffaloed the public by physically posting 10 to 20 linear miles of public land. Just a year ago the wife and I went right through a no trespassing sign that I know full well from county records lead to nothing but public land.

One pretty much controls deeded land, but that's most certainly not the case with federal property. I'm sure this has been a long evolving issue and it's not a spur of the moment overnight taking. I'm sad for Mr. Bundy, his history, and his lifestyle, but I think he's been a bit inflexible and perhaps slow at moving into the modern world.

There are families within just a mile or so of my keyboard that rely heavily on public grazing lands. The progressive examples, however, are siezing every opportunity to acquire deeded lands sufficient to sustain their operation and lifestyle for their children and grandchildren. They fully realize that privileges can vaporize, and they may someday have to rely solely on deeded property.

Our public lands are indeed owned by the public, and the public's interest in their management is expanding every day. Cattle used to rule, but now hunters, fishermen, birdwatchers, hikers, bikers, wild horse lovers, miners, enviros, and little old ladies that read National Geographic are all realizing they have a say in management. The times are a changing.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/08/14.

1Minute