Actually, the United States 'owned" Nevada, California, Arizona, & New Mexico since 1848, when they paid $15,000,000 for it in the Treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo, after we whipped Mexico's ass in the Mexican War. It was incorporated into the Territory of Utah in 1851 and became the Territory of Nevada in 1861. The concept of Federally owned land is not a new one, and the Feds did not just sneak into Nevada and steal it. They've probably owned it since 1848. This guy has refused to pay grazing fees on "Federal" land since 1994. If you study the history of the cattle in the West, Ranchers have been required to pay grzing fees to graze on Federal land gong back to the beginning of the cattle industry in this country. I side with those who call this guy a thief. From what I read here, even his neighbors have complained about his illegal grazing. He says his family has been grazing cattle since 1877. I wonder whose cows the started out with. grin I do agree that the snipers and the "Free Speech Zone are a bit much.