Originally Posted by utah708
Thanks for taking the time to post this essay; I know they take a lot of effort. I have never wanted to be messing with a camera while I had bedding compound about.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, and likewise there are different techniques to bed. I mask the front, sides, and bottom of the recoil lug. The clearance makes the barreled action easier to get in and out of the action, and also ensures that I am not scrapping off the edges of the mortise bedding as I take the action in and out. More a matter of personal preference than anything.

But with all due respect, I do think you are doing something significantly questionable in your bedding. I really think the back of the trigger abutment should be masked so it is not functioning as a secondary recoil lug. It is not designed for that, and can lead to splitting in the tang. (Know that crack that so many Savage 99's have? That is from the tang bearing recoil.)

When the cartridge is fired, the recoil pushes back on the recoil lug and flexes the walls of the stock around the magazine out, and the stock shortens. (That is why so many old Win70's have a split in the wood behind the magazine--from that outward flex. That is also why crossbolts help--by holding the sides in.) That means that there has got to be some "give" between the length of the action and the stock or forces are being directly applied to the stock in places you don't want. That is why the rear of the trigger abutment on a Win 70 needs to be masked so that it is not a bearing surface.

I also believe you do not want the stock bolts, the magazine, or any other surface of the action functioning as secondary recoil lugs.

Thanks Utah. You are absolutely correct. I'll be along with pics to let you know how I deal with the trigger abutment (rear of the trigger assembly). I don't mask it, because I don't want the masking tape to get in the way when I'm trying to lower the barreled action into the goop. You could end op with a big mess. As far as taping the front and sides of the recoil lug: not necessary. ASK redneck and Karnis if they bed them "tight" and see what they say. Works good for me too and the accuracy of my rifles is pure testimony to the process. Taping that stuff is a waste of time. Again, this is why the title says "my way". I totally agree about skinning a cat too. Many many ways...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA