Razz,

I am in the process of finishing a stock for my Alaskan 338 as well. The original was cracked at the tang so it is going into the scrap pile. I perform all the inletting, fitting, and shaping by hand as well. I am pillar bedding the action and epoxying the entire action into the stock as well. I cut the pillars by hand and then used a certified flat ( gramps was a machinist) and a square to sand them perfect. After you drill the holes in the stock you will think you really messed up, especially the tang area. Don't worry, you will fill in the voids with epoxy and then use a rat tail file to file it down perfect. I epoxy in stages. Here is the second stage complete.

[Linked Image]

PIllars are in, barrel is fully floated to the recoil lug. Next step is to support the chamber with about 2 inches of epoxy.

Then I will epoxy the entire action, magazine well included, so no wood is exposed. I am trying to make it weather proof.

I go a little overboard, but the last pre 64 I did this way seems to like it smile

Oh yeah I use Marine Tex and Carnuba floor wax for release agent.

Last edited by pre6422hornet; 12/10/14.