"New and Improved" never sits well with me. I don't like that the padding is thin and that the straps are sewn to the padding and not running through. At least it appears that way, not sure whats on the inside. I compared it to another Dana I have that's actually a post K2 and don't see it as being that far "ahead". I don't like that wedging gear/meat/whatever between the bag and frame is your "load shelf" and think the SG wins in that department, though I've never had my hands on one.

After all the initial chatter, I think a few things stand out. It seems the price point was the biggest selling feature of all. I've read too many threads that start or end "...for the money...". If in the grand scheme of things another $200 on a pack is the difference between having a good pack and not, then you need to step back and look at your schit. Everybody but our wives knows the amount of money we blow on this crap. If you're $350 in already on a backpack, you're already spending a chunk of change.

There was a pile of controversy with the Rokslide/Kuiu gang regarding some oddball tests the Rokslide wanted to do with the pack and Kuiu wouldn't have a part in it. I don't know all the details, but something always sat funny with me regarding that. Then Jason does his own "tests". Why? Are his tests better or did he not want it in the hands of folks who would bash it?

I liked what I saw initially, but started wonder if it was a price built piece of gear vs a purpose built one. I don't think comparing it to SG or MR is apples to apples.

Lastly, the big tag that said "Made in Vietnam" didn't give me the warm and fuzzy. Granted its just the bag thats imported (I think), but a little USA goes a long way. Yes, I drive a Toyota and that aint the point....

As far as I'm concerned, its the Tikka of backpacks.

Take the above with all the salt you'd like, but that's my story. And the next new pack in my mitts will be a SG.

As a side note, I'm still waiting for my Dana to puke.....