Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The .270 Win is a great cartridge. But to say there is no difference between the performance of it and the 7RM is just plain not telling the whole story.

Well that right there is the whole point! smile

But if you load it like a 270,never torch either off at more than 300 yards,it's going to smell like a 270 and you're never gonna see the difference.Neither is the guy who buys one and lacks the incentive or disposition to run it at longer distances.

If he shoots both at animals enough,and loads a 7 mag to potential, he will see that a 7 mag expands tough hunting bullets better at distances past 300 yards.

Jordan those are the "laggards" you refer to above. There are plenty of them out there.They don't hangout here. grin

The guy is getting a heavier rifle, burning more powder,that "free" extra barrel,and a wee jump in recoil for basically nothing in the way of advantage.I figure if you want a 7 mag,treat it like one.

BTW I don't consider either cartridge to be ideal for a person shooting 50-100 rounds strings at gongs and rocks in a afternoon; or for that shoot that rc and dogshooter are running at Wittington.For that sort of thing I'd rather have a 6.5 Creedmoor or the like.You can learn everything you need to know about a 7 Rem Mag with less strenuous sessions.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/10/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.