Today I drove up to Geneva Creek. That's the area that huntsonora suggested. The pass was closed so huntsonora couldn't make it from the north. I drove up from the south. BTW I haven't bothered to set the calendar on my camera so don't let the dates confuse you.

Saw some buffalo along the way.
[Linked Image]

The mountains were glorious.
[Linked Image]

This is the first view that you see of the area.
[Linked Image]

There's a forest service corral open to the public. So it's convenient to bring horses or mules.
[Linked Image]

There are a couple dozen good camping spots that generally resemble this one.
[Linked Image]

Another representative example of the camping spots.
[Linked Image]

This a beautiful area just like huntsonora said. It would be great to hold the gathering there. However, it has advantages and disadvantages. It's pretty accessible. Drive I-70 to Georgetown and then south up over Guanella Pass. Then continue south about four miles to Geneva Creek. Pretty good roads all the way. There's a nice creek there and a 4x4 road that goes way up into the valley to an old mine.

The disadvantage of this spot is that we won't have it to ourselves. There were already three camps setup for the weekend. We could definitely count on there being others campers competing for spots and they might also get upset if we setup a range and started shooting.

I still want to check out the spot that WyColoCowboy suggested.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.