Originally Posted by 16gauge
You guys are scaring the crap out of me and making me rethink my decision to hunt Africa this summer. eek I am hunting with Cruiser in August, and had been planning on going with Highveld, just for the sake of convenience. Between the nightmare & horror stories I've read with regards to: bad taxidermy, bad dip/pack, bad flights, hassles with firearms, damaged firearms/gun cases, poor outfitters, corrupt SAP, crime, hassles with the USFWS, brokers, shippers, etc,........it makes me wonder if I'm setting myself up for nothing but a disappointing and expensive trip. frown
With all that's riding on this, I've signed up on several websites/forums re: Africa and hunting in Africa,and it seems like every day someone posts about some problem with something....I went to these sites to gain information and to try and become knowledgable, but it seems that for every post that says "do your taxidermy here" there is someone else who has a horror story about how their hides weren't salted correctly and ruined when they where finally shipped, if they were shipped at all, etc. Or, for gun cases.....post the question "which is a good airline case?"; a certain number will say "get brand X" to which an equal number will reply "Don't buy that brand, it's crap,.....get brand Y", to which another handful will reply "They are both crap; get brand Z".......I have never been so confused, concerned, and full of angst about a trip in my life! sick

Sorry if I hijacked the thread..........not really my intention.

Does anybody go to Africa and actually have a good time, without any hassles?

I've hunted with Cruiser too. Fear nothing with them. I also had great experiences with Highveld/Oxi, other than the timeline it takes to get your stuff to the states...this is just an unfortunate situation and hopefully a rare case.

I would recommend though, that you pay to rent a rifle at Cruiser. Between extra baggage fees, importation fees, gun cases, firearms control and everything else, it is just easier to rent a rifle. That is unless, you're doing a review or writing an article on a specific rifle/load/whatever.