My grandmother had a bunch of German Helmets, that were brought back in WW 1 and 2....they were kinda passed on down by various family members and ended up in the barn....she pulled a bunch of them out thinking they would make dandy flower pots...until after a couple of years of use, I told her what they were probably worth... this was back in the late 70s, early 80s ( she passed in 1990)

when I was a kid and lived in England ( 63 to 66), there was a junkyard over in Cambridge that had the fuselage of a B 17....and then where I went to school at on Molesworth, there were still scrapped parts of B 17s in various sizes, on parts of the base that had been the scrap pile during the war...even all the Nissen/Ouonset Huts were all there boarded up....our school lunch run was a WW2 chow hall, and our auditorium was a mission briefing room... the AF let the school have use of it in 1964, when the other one burned down....my gym class was assigned to go in and clean it up, since it was winter and always raining...

on the stage, there was a big curtain, covered in dust, but when we pulled that moth eaten thing back, there was a big map of NW Europe... on it was the briefing from the last mission the 303rd Bomb Group flew over Germany in April 1945....