I'm going to recommend the 45/70 1895 Marlin or 336 in 30-30. I don't know if you want stainless or not. If you want a blued 30-30 and ease of loading, look no futher than a Henry. If you like a real nice heavier rifle, the octagon barrel Henry is great. Both of these calibers are never forgotton and only get better through constant development. Ammo is availiable and very cost effective.

Forget the 35 Remington. Nobody here has owned as many 35's as me, nor killed as many animals with it. I'm the King of 336 SS-LTD's. It is a fine caliber, usually on the backburner of cartridge updates, and it DOES NOT kill as good as a 30-30. Others will debate it, and thats ok.

To be quite honest, I haven't seen a 45/70 outkill a 30-30 on the game you mentioned but I will tell you with many many similar shots, I've seen the 30-30 with good ammo produce faster results on said game than the 45/70.

I only use factory 150gr 30-30 but have used the 125gr, 140 monoflex, and 160gr ftx. I don't use these three because they shoot too far off from a regular 150. If I were going to use one round across the board for 30-30, it would be the Barnes HP. I've had outstanding results with powermax winchester HP. The regular 150's are good enough in most cases. I like all my loads to hit fairly close from brand to brand.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/14/14.