Yep, a lot of people are "hoarders" now, even though they ay not think of themselves that way, but the re-sellers have a major effect, especially on prices outside of stores.

If the re-sellers hadn't gotten into the act I suspect we'd be seeing .22 ammo on more store shelves--just like we're seeing .223 ammo. The re-sellers, however, either can't or won't pay the price for .223 ammo to resell. Instead they find stores where .22 rimfire is still priced relatively low, just enough for the store to make it's normal profit.

I didn't buy any .22 rimfire ammo during the first year of the panic, since I had enough on hand. But when things were still just as crazy after a year I decided screw it, and bought a few bricks of practice ammo when it showed up for a reasonable price on the Internet. I don't do much much varmint hunting with hollow-point .22 ammo anymore, preferring the .17's and .22 Magnum, and already had a plentiful supply of hunting ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck