Originally Posted by k22hornet
I work part-time at a 'big box' sporting goods store, and we are getting quite a bit of 22LR each week.

We do have a group of individuals that 'storm' the ammo aisle every morning when we open, looking for 22LR. It is the same guys, each and every morning. I suspect they are speculators.

I have noticed that, in general, the customers who come in in the morning will buy all they can, whereas I have seen customers in the late afternoon come in and only buy 1 box, instead of all they can.

Don't take this as a personal attack but IMHO it is the big box stores that have access to ammo due to contracts and volume purchasing but then basically enable the scalpers by having no policy to limit purchasing that are as responsible for the problem as the scalpers. As someone mentioned it may, be helpful if orders were sent to more of the smaller retailers than the big box stores. In the end I'm a bit sick reading and hearing stories that go something like well we get ammo every week but it sells out as soon as we gets it. We get our shipment on Wednesday nite and put it out at 8:30 on Thursday mornings and it gone in 15 minutes. The same guy and 3 of his buddies come in every week and buy it all out. Well yea whose fault is that.