Having health issues interfere with a hunt is something I know a little about. Back in the 1980's I managed to break a couple ribs opening morning. Could hardly breathe, let alone hunt, although I tried. Ended up going home.

In 2004 We blew the clutch on my F250 while headed out to elk camp. Cost us a day. That same year that a 20-year-old bullet wound in my left leg was giving me a great deal of trouble, making walking very difficult. I opted to postpone surgery until after the hunt, hoping it wouldn't get worse. It did, and I very nearly didn't make the hunt at all.

I forget the year but it was a few years back. While doe hunting around Lamar I managed to get bitten by a rattler. fortunately only one fang. A trip to the hospital first, followed by several days of very painful walking with a foot the size of a baseball. Tried to continue to hunt. The guys would drop me off and I'd just stand still, which was hard enough, hoping doves would fly by. Don't think I got may more doves but did get a couple shots off. At that point I didn't care one way or another.

In 2006 my hunting buddy and I got our elk opening morning. The next morning as we prepared to leave camp to hunt deer we discovered my wife was in the hospital with leukemia.

In 2009 I injured my hip so badly I could barely walk. Mostly hunted from the truck.

My hunting buddy has more serious problems. He is diabetic and I think he is prone to altitude sickness. Here is his record from 2004:
2004 - Went home sick on day 2.
2005 - Hallucinating on way back to camp. Blood chemistry was messed up. Got some food in him and he was OK after that.
2007 - Threw up while dragging out his deer.
2009 - Stayed home sick.
2012 - Very badly sprained ankle day 1, stayed in camp day 2, went home day 3.
2013 - Went home sick on day 2.

2008 - Didn't hunt.
2010 - Didn't hunt.
2011 - Didn't hunt.

Every year I get to go elk hunting I count my blessings. Elk hunting is why I moved to Colorado.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/27/14.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.