Last fall I had some buddies coming up to go waterfowl hunting the day before pheasant opener. I'd been feeling a little crappy for a couple of days prior to the day that we were to waterfowl hunt. Couldn't eat and miserable stomach pains. Woke up the day of the waterfowl hunt at 4am with a terrible pain in my lower right abdomen. Figured I could just tough it out and I'd feel better after I shot some birds and got some fresh air. By the time I had my gear together and was ready to head out the door, I decided I better go to the emergency room instead. The boy ended up taking the guys hunting for the weekend and I got to have an emergency appendectomy for a burst appendix. 2 weeks later I was hunting again.

A few years before that, I was playing volleyball and my right knee went south on me. Popped loud and seemed to turn way farther than it should. Swelled up for six months and it still locks up and retains fluid. I hunted the next day though. Walked several miles, crossing streams and washes was the toughest part of it. Knee wouldn't bend at all for months. Still need to get to the doctor for that one day.