About 20 years ago on an elk hunt in Colorado my brother developed altitude sickness and had to go to the hospital.

Las August my s-i-l tore an Achilles tendon out of one foot and couldn't go moose hunting. He was thoroughly p.o.

On our way to the same hunt (750 miles one way to our fly in point) I started developing signs of gout. Hadn't had problems in years. I didn't think anything of it and didn't try to see a doctor en route. Turned out to be a major problem and I didn't get to hunt one day of our trip. Fortunately for me the weather was moderate so I would take a book, a chair, a coffee or soft drink along with my binoculars and sit out near the dock. The only thing I did do was to fish for about 4 hours one afternoon. The only thing that really ticked me off was the fact I couldn't get to either of the kill sites where two of our hunters got their first moose.

I guess this is one blessing of getting old. I found I still enjoyed the trip apart from the pain in my foot and not having my s-I-l along.

Jim