Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by JOG

They're probably a tie for mediocre for that purpose.

Hmm. I don't see it that way. A 10 with maxed flatnose 220's or a 357 with wfn 180's seem like good options to me. Not a Casull, but controllable and portable, with lots of firepower. Defense shooting and retail business have 3 important similarities in order to succeed: location, location, location.
A 10mm with maxed flatnose 220 grainers is going to have to be getting pretty slow. I just took it that JOG meant compared to full strength 44 Mag's or taking it up a notch to hot-loaded 45 Colt's or a Casull, the 10 is going to come off pretty weak. I have no idea how much difference there would be in the real-world, because I've never shot a bear. I do know that if I were to shoot one, I'd much rather have a hot-loaded 45 Colt or a 44 Mag. than a 10mm, especially if the bear was of the Horribulus tribe.

The 10 when in a high cap platform like the Glock, makes for a moderately powerful pistol with a lot of firepower. If you're really in Bear country and you choose one, you're making the old choice between power and firepower. From what I've read about bears, if you're really in danger, you might get off two shots before the bear is on you, making the issue of how many rounds, moot, unless you're talking a Contender or other single-shot pistol, which aren't commonly carried for defensive purposes anyway.