I'd rather have a hot-loaded 10 with heavies, or a 40 with same, than a hard-kicking heavy wheelgun. Unless we're talking big coastal bears, then I'd carry a lever gun. You aren't going to intimidate a big grizz just by firing a big bullet, and it doesn't take a big bullet to stop an attack.

I'd rather have a gun that I've shot 1000's of times and can shoot really well, loaded with the right bullet. I can rapid fire my 40 with decent accuracy, and it will be a CNS hit that stops the attack.

I'm going into bear country today to pick huckleberries. We can suppose all kinds of gack about guns and firepower and magnums and whatever, but I know from my tests that my 40 with 180gr hardcasts at 1200 will penetrate a bear's skull, or make it through at least a foot of soft tissue and then break bone. Consequently, that is what I will carry.

Secondly, part of being in bear country is being completely aware of your surroundings as much as possible. Bears are quiet when they want to be, but they haven't cared to be very quiet when I've come across them before, and I'm confident that I can notice them in plenty of time for more than 1 or 2 shots from my 40, if I have to shoot. It hasn't happened that way yet. I pray it never does, but if it does, I am confident that I can do what needs done with my 40. My brother carries a 9 with 147 hardcasts at 1050 in bear country, and feels good about it.

From looking at the data, it looks like the 10 can get a 200grn bullet up to 1200. Don't see data for a 220, but I'm sure at least 1000 is doable, which is plenty for penetrating the skull, or the soft tissue around the neck to get to the spine.

Once again, if these can't get the job done, then I want a rifle, not a bigger handgun.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.