In the intervening 12 years since the incident, I have become sanguine in regards to 30-30. However, back in 2002, I had about as disappointing an experience with a cartridge as you can have.

The details are here:
Ode to a 30-30 PT III

That was my last hunt with the Marlin and the 30 WCF. The next year I had a Savage 99 in 308 Win, and I have never regretted the change. My reconciliation with the Thutty-Thutty has been slow and I have to thank my friends at the 'Fire for their help. Some day, I may even hunt with it again.

Let me list the things that have allowed me to soften my opinion:

1) In 2005, I had a somewhat similar occurrence with a 35 Whelen. Despite several shots at 80 yards at a standing buck that completely removed the heart and lungs, the buck managed to remain on his feet. I was about to put in a 4th shot when he fell over. I was left to conclude that there are some deer that just do not want to die.
2) My son, Mooseboy, finally fessed up after reaching adulthood that he had been closing his eyes before pulling the trigger. That accounts for the deer that ran away magically on our early Yute hunts together with that rifle.
3) Honorable #3 son, Angus, managed to whack a doe in 2009 with the Marlin, with a load suggested by Campfire alum, Adobe Walls. I still keep Winchester PowerPoints in 150 grain in my inventory should the need arise.

Moose is now grown and has a family, consisting of MooseMama and Mooselette. MooseMama tried the Marlin last summer and really liked it. I am eagerly awaiting the time she comes deer hunting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer