I agree for mostly open country, a 10x ( or even more) is probably better than a 8x.

But it was the statement for both short - to - long ( close to far) that a 10x was better than a 8x, that I disagreed with. That along with the OP's seeking an opinion for a binocular for "fairly close to way out" is why I recommended a 8x. And I still stand by that opinion- I simply have a different opinion for a good all around power size.

But I have and use 6x; 7x; 8x; and 10x binoculars- and which one I grab depends on the situation. And then again, my opinions on this is probably steered by many years of use of optics here in Oregon. Everything from thick wet jungle like terrain going after Blacktails, to long distance glassing on the dry east side.

Not everyone wants to have a variety of optics, and if I was going to suggest one power for all use, or be told that I can only pick one binocular power for myself to use- it would be a 8x ( probably in a 8x42 format). Some may say if you can only have one power choice for all use from a 6x to a 10x- then pick the 10x. You know- "go big or go home". Well I would pick the 8x for my use if I only could pick one.

As far as a spotter, I often am not relying on one in most hunting situations. And I was not suggesting that one use a spotter instead of a 10x binocular. Only was saying that in most cases even in open country a 8x shows me what I need. And if I felt under gunned with that- for me I would rather have a spotter for real long distance verification - vs always relying on carrying a 10x. Even though a 10x on a tripod is great for long term glassing, I would rather have a 8x around my neck and then use a 8x and a spotter on a tripod for long term glassing sessions.

And regarding the OP's ? regarding the Swaro 8x32 Swarovision- it is one fantastic binocular. One of the best, if not the best 8x32 ever produced. I did long term comparing that 8x32 Swarovision during all times of day up against a bright 8x42; and that 8x32 Swarovision hung right with it as far as light gathering. The 8x32 Swarovision was only bested by the 8x42 with regards to light gathering in the last minutes of twilight. And that was well after shooting light. The 8x32 Swarovision did better in my testing than the 8x32 EL that I tested it against as far as light gathering. And I always thought the 8x32 EL was good in that regard, but the 8x32 Swarovision was even better.