Originally Posted by Mule Deer

But the OP asked about glassing everything from close up to a long ways off, and I gave my answer, based on some experience. That includes not just my own glassing but watching other people glass, including people I've guided. Whenever there was a question about something, many of those people asked to look through my 10x or 12x binoculars, and very often the question was answered without hauling out the spotter. (And yes, I always have a spotting scope handy when glassing big country.)

So no, my answer was not just "personal preference," but based on decades of using binoculars to find game in big country. Yes, 8x works fine in timber or semi-open country, whether in North America, Africa or wherever, but for serious glassing at longer distances give me at least 10x, every time.

John has killed more Cape Buffalo than I, but I can top his elk count. Granted some were with a pick up, but I still win that contest. I will state as strongly for the 8X as John will for the 10x. I have tried them all, back and forth and at this time have the Leica 10X HD-B as well as the Swarovision 8X32, and will still keep the 8X over the 10X42 for all around use.

I do have also have a pair of Swarovision 10X42 that I would sell if someone likes them over the 8X. Having the best of both worlds, I can use them all, but I stand with the 8X crowd, at least for now...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]