Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by safariman

MiddleforkMiner,

I do not disagree with what you highlighted, but my main point was that we do not know many things about this incident. Certainly not enough to fully Monday morning Quarterback this cop. But I stand by my statement that if the perp was defensless on the ground save for his knife and could not likely close the distance between himself and the officer than the officer made a bad choice, albeit in a heated and tense moment full of emotions and such.

Mark

It was a post I quoted...I didn't highlight it. I agree about the monday morning quarterback issue, but I don't share your compassion for people exhibiting the type of behavior that led to this guy getting killed...IMHO, the guys own stupidity is what got him killed.

You are quite right that not just one, but a series of very bad decisions was made by this suspect. 1) to rob anyone or anybody 2) to run with the car while being pursued 3) to get out and run when there were many officers in close proximity with the liklihood of at least one being a K-9 unit. Many have died for far fewer bad decisions made in one evening. My only 'bone to pick' (REALLY bad pun there) was that if the suspect was not demonstrably a direct threat to that officer or another, and by this I mean a human officer, then deadly force was not called for. The suspects life at that moment was of immeasurably more value than that of any dog, K-9 or other.

We need to see what the other officers saw RE the suspects ability to actually press a charge or threat to an officer at the time he was shot. Only then can a judgement be fairly rendered.

You and I both have and love our dogs, but not for one minute would I choose the life of any of my dogs over any human life, even if that life was the current most wanted man in the USA.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500