Originally Posted by GrimJim
A serious question instead of a snide comment. You deserve an answer.

They were introduced in early 2013. I have about nine right now. I replaced all my Zeiss 3-9X40 Conquests which I bought when I could no longer use the Leupold 6x42. Just loved the Leupold but I could no longer bring them into focus with my latest eye prescription.

Number of shots with the Meoptas-well into the hundreds. Not bad for two seasons with them. I go to the rifle range instead of golfing. I added 40 more this afternoon at the range. Most of my shooting is at the range-load development from the bench and then offhand practice until hunting season. Hunting experience so far is one shot per deer and I hope to keep it that way.

My roughing it days are gone if they ever existed so I can't tell you about a HALO insertion into the wilderness followed by packing the meat and rack out to a river, felling a tree and turning the tree into a canoe with an axe to take me back to civilization.

I went deer hunting last year in the woods. The Meopta worked just fine for a very short shot and for a longer one to the top of a hill. I haven't had a shot in Pennsylvania much over 125-150 yards. Nor in Michigan before that, for that matter. No parallax issues at those ranges.

I also wouldn't know about tracking and POI/POA. I sight in for the typical range where I would be hunting. If I see the deer I want, I take a rest, put the crosshairs in the right spot and squeeze the trigger. No laser rangefinder, no turret twisting, no GPS reading to calculate elevation above sea level , no reading of temperature and air pressure. It tracks fine but after I sight in, I am done. I can't tell you how the Leupolds I had tracked and adjusted for POI/POA at long range either.

In 1999, I attended a urban warfare demonstration at Alisoville in Camp Pendleton. Afterwards they let the mere civilians talk to the USMC participants. I walked up to the scout sniper team. They used a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in 7.62x51; I use a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in .308 Winchester. They said they like to engage between 500 and 800 meters. At ranges less than 500 meters they are susceptible to lesser rifle; over 800 meters the 7.62 runs out of steam. I said that if I saw a deer at 200 yards I would take the shot but I would like to get a little closer.

What I can tell you is that it gives a bright clear picture of what you are shooting at in the woods at dawn, at dusk and in the darker shadows-which is what I need from it. So did my Leupolds. I don't buy them for long range performance I buy them to see detail in the deep woods-details like how many points are really on that buck when you hunt under point restrictions.

The original poster said he was looking at 6x42 scopes and asked for comments. He got some friendly comments which appear to amuse laughing boy in Alaska. Not everyone hunts in the same terrain or in the same manner. If the original poster hunts in the woods I have some useful observations; if he shoots at longer ranges, I don't, because POI/POA tracking and such, are completely irrelevant to me. I just don't care. And why should I.

The Helen Keller Scope R&D Chronicles!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."