Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Has anyone, by chance, seen one of the finished rifles sold by Dumoulin?

I wonder if the desired end result of building a rifle on one of these actions might be more easily accomplished by having a Gentry shroud and safety fitted to a CZ.
That, of course, wouldn't include the fancy bottom metal, but the CZ is good enough, if not perfect.

By the way, currently the CZ site doesn't show the 550 American. The push-feed 557 seems to be taking the place of the 550. There should still be plenty in the pipe for now.

No, the price of the CZ550 3-position safety almost exceeds the price of the complete M-98 action and that's before installation. After it's complete you still don't have a Mauser action, you have a CZ. Not bad but if you want a Mauser you need to buy a Mauser. To me that's like wanting a Winchester M70 but buying a Remington 700 and paying three times the price for it. Don't forget you'll still need a barrel and another stock for the CZ also, We are talking custom rifles here.

If this action wasn't the answer for me, my next choice would be to buy an FN and gut it for the action.

I was thinking more in terms of a nice hunting rifle than a full-blown custom. I've never seen a CZ in the flesh, but was under the impression that aside from the side safety, shroud and possibly the magazine box, it was essentially a 98. The Gentry safety for the CZ is, for some reason, priced about $90 above the 98 version. Who'd a thunk it?

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/05/14.

What fresh Hell is this?