Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I reckon this place would be a good test bed for the idea.

What would y'all think about cops having suppressors on a patrol rifle? Not a suppressor like in the movies that makes a gun silent but a real life model that just keeps the noise to a safe level? If you've never been around one, they're still loud....they just keep you from needing ear protection while shooting.

There have allegedly been cases of folks winning lawsuits against the police for firing rifles near them and causing hearing loss.

And I know of several cases of officers being unable to work after a shoot out because of hearing loss (they weren't completely deaf, but couldn't pass the department's hearing test).

If a suppressor was purchased by the officer, would you freak out that he used it at work?

No problem with them but the ones I've seen for pistols are pretty big. I doubt if an officer could keep one of the pistol and still holster the pistol. I doubt the officer would have time to put one on in a shoot out.

I've been interested in them for the .45 Auto but all the suppressors I've seen are big and add about 5" to the barrel making the overall length about 10". Even with 4" barrels on the pistol you are talking about 9" overall.

Using modern ammo that police tend to use I don't see how one can get the overall length under 7".

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude