Originally Posted by MontanaMan
worn by PoPo's wearing nice blue shirts, nice slacks with a stripe up the side & nicely shined low cut, laced shoes.

MM

Yeah, cuz what I wear is important to how I treat people.

You ever try to run in that stuff? Or wrassle around in the mud with a guy while wearing that stuff?

I spend my shift wearing BDUs. Not because we're trying to look like Ricky recon ranger seal, but because it's functional. It's cheaper for us to replace (yes, we buy our own). They have more pockets to put stuff. It's just better all around.

I do wish we didn't blouse our boots though. No real need for that outside of looks. I'll give ya that one, but that's it.

Police rank structure and uniforms have ALWAYS been modeled after the military. Since the beginning of organized police forces. County Sheriff's in America were an exception to that until relatively recently. They wore what they could afford and used the gear that worked for their environment. In the early days if our country, especially in the West, they often couldn't afford anything other than what a guy brought with him to the job. So the common dress and firearms of the day was it. Doesn't mean they didn't wish they had more.

This whole militarization thing has gotten way out of hand. In that, it doesn't exist. At all. Those of you who believe it have been hoodwinked by alarmist media. Taken in, hook, line, and sinker.

But even if it did, clothing certainly has nothing to do with it. Our military once wore exactly what you described a cop should wear now. Ever think of that? Where did you think that uniform came from?