Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone make them, and how?

I make 'em once in a while... and there's not a whole lot to it.

You bake a potato until fully cooked. I like to smear either butter or vegetable oil all over the outside of the whole potato so the skin get kinda crispy when the potato is done.

Once it is baked, hold the potato on-edge so that each half will lay flat after being cut in half... then cut the potato in half and scoop out the "inners" with a teaspoon, mash it up with a fork or if you like "creamy" potatoes, use a mixer with milk and butter in the potatoes as if you're making creamy mashed potatoes. I just use a fork.

Mince some onion and add it along with some finely chopped or shredded Velveeta or, if you prefer, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a little salt and freshly-ground black pepper and mix well.

Add this mixture back into the crispy potato skins, make a slight groove in the top of the potato mixture and add a bit more cheese into that groove, put under the broiler and broil under the cheese melts (which happens rather quickly-this is considered "the second baking", i.e., "twice-baked" potatoes), remove from the oven and serve.

If you "whip" the potatoes, let the broiler "crisp-up" the upper edges of the whipped potatoes for an improved taste (to me, at least).

If you wanna get a little more "fancy", add some dried or fresh chives to the mixture & mix well... for color and a little extra onion-flavor.

I hope this is of help you... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...