Shot my first two deer with a 760 in 244 rem. It was on loan from my GreatGrandad and had a 6x Unertl Hawk mounted in weavers on top. It shot plenty well for a 9yr old though my 60 pound self found it rather heavy and awkward. I remember clearly seeing the scope fill with hair and yanking the trigger when I shot my first buck with it at 7yds, think 6x may have been a little much for that shot but I dropped him like a bad habit. When he gave it to me to take hunting it hadn't been shot in at least 20yrs and he Gave me 4 rounds, all different and couldn't figure out why my dad wanted to go buy a couple more boxes!
It was supposed to go to my Grandad when GreatGrandad passed and on to me someday, but a cousin absconded with it almost immediately after the funeral and I haven't seen it since.

I don't particularly care for 760/7600s but I sure would like to have that one back.

One thing to note is that the chamber should be kept clean as they don't have the camming power a bolt rifle does. Also stay away from aftermarket magazines, especially the 10 rounders. Other than that they are generally pretty serviceable hunting rifles.