Respectfully,
We had to build our first rifle on a Zastava 98 Action at the Colorado School or Trades. I opted to build a .275 Rigby/7x57... In short my receiver was an adventure in tolerance stack and general half assed machining. I had to chuck the receiver up and re-cut the lug seats, which is a trick with a boring bar while trying to avoid hitting the C ring. At any rate I finally got it square and lapped the lugs into 90% contact. That said everything on those rifles almost made them an individual. Tried to fit the cocking piece so that it would work with a 3 position Recknagel Safety and then harden the contact surfaces before it galled. Never could get it to work to my satisfaction. Polished too far and went in search for a replacement. A buddy gave me a Nazi proof marked unit which dropped in, untouched, and started working like Darcy Echols fitted it. Complete luck... All in all the only thing I would suggest is to buy a better action to build into a later rifle on... This was in 05' well before Remington entered into the picture. In the end the Recknagel 3 position Safety & Kepplinger Two Stage Match Trigger are worth more than the rest of the rifle...imho & fwiw.

You might consider a Granite Mountain Arms 98 or a Hartmann & Weiss if you are looking for the best...

NRA Life Benefactor Member