Originally Posted by Bugger
I didn't think he was that bad a guy. I gotta admit that at one time I didn't think I'd be using a black rifle for hunting.

For instance, I've never used my M1 for hunting, only targets / competition.

Today black rifles are very popular for hunting such things as wild hogs.

One family of my cousins all started off with semi-auto 22's. My siblings and I started out with single shots. When we hunted together they would shoot more than 10x more ammo than what we would shoot. But we'd end up with rabbits or squirrels and they didn't.

I could see the philosophy of being against semi-auto's for hunting just based on my started out.

Zumbo seemed to be primarily an elk hunter and used bolt action rifles. I suspect that a great majority of elk hunters use bolt guns.

An AR-15 was only available in 223 at the time and I thought he said that he could see no hunting purpose with black guns.

I didn't recall him saying that black guns were only good for killing people. If he did, shame on him.

Again, at the time I thought of black rifles as target and home defense. The AR-15's I had seen back then were not accurate enough for prairie dogs and not in my opinion powerful enough for deer with the bullets available then.

He should have thought a little before he dissed the black rifles though. Home defense is as valid or more so a reason for having a rifle as hunting, IMO.

One last thing. If you live in the rural west as many of us do, we really don't feel the need for slef protection from humans as much as people in more populated areas.

As far as Jane the bitch Fonda goes, I was in USMC 69-72. You can't imagine what I think of that whore. She should have gone to the electric chair or some other means of capital punishment, IMHO!

Here is what he said. He deserved ten times the beating he took for his idiotic, elitist statements. FUJZ

On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:
Originally Posted by Jim Zumbo
I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.[2]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK