Originally Posted by tsquare
Alas, the fact is that Ernest Hemingway, Robert Ruark, nor William Shakespere himself, couldn't sell a "Me and Joe" piece these days. Also, trying sell a piece on anything - from gigging frogs to building a thermonuclear bomb - that is longer than1200-1500 words, would drive a Baptist preacher to drink. It matters not what the readers want to read, it is what the publishers/advertising guys/gals want to publish. There are a couple exceptions, but not many. That is a major reason why most of the outdoor magazines these days suck big time. I am really glad that I am in the twilight of my career and not trying to start out.

More's the pity. I doubt the average internet user could maintain focus for more than 6-8 paragraphs today.

We have devolved into the age of "ICS" as it relates to hunting/shooting today...tactICS, ballistICS. There are even ICS to help you hear in the woods and keep you in a scent-free zone but l forget the names.

Hunters today seem to want this stuff. They are a grim and determined bunch....camo clad, running through the woods staving off wolves with high tech bows and treating the experience like a tactical maneuver instead of a recreational experience. Judging from the advertisements.

I am not sure they are enjoying themselves...they never smile. This machismo must appeal to someone because they sre selling lots of stuff.

Older magazines showed tired beat up huntrrs s ith simple gear but who smiled and looked happy enjoying the experience.

How you can be happy on a mountain with a 13# rufle and all the stuff you have to carry to keep with all the ICS is beyond me.

I can't imagine many of these guys sitting through The Road To Tinkertown

but maybe they could .

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/29/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.