JG,

Here I would like to list all the times somebody I'm hunting with or guiding has seen a "deer" a long ways away in their 7x or 8x binocular, which turned out to be a log or rock in my 10x or 12x binocular. But I can't, since I long ago lost count.

Once it even happened when a friend from the East was using my 7x Swarovski, which I'd loaned him because all be brought was a compact "woods binocular" that didn't work a darn. Have also had numerous people borrow my bigger binocular because they couldn't tell much about the size of a buck's antlers.

Yeah, a spotting scope will always tell more, and I always have one or two along when hunting big country mule deer. But I've also found a 10x or 12x binocular in my hand often bypasses getting the scope and tripod out of my pack and setting them up.

On the other hand, in closer country 8x is certainly plenty, and I'd much rather still hunt timber with an 8x30 around my neck than a bigger binocular like a 10x40. Which is exactly why I suggested to the OP that he bring both, since he owns a variety of binoculars. One or the other will be more appropriate, depending on what sort of country he ends up hunting.

Over the decades I have also found a spare binocular on a "big" hunting trip is a very good idea. It doesn't take up much room even if you're flying, and even if not perfect for that kind of hunting, beats the hell out of no binocular at all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck