Every one has their particular preferences with their hunting style and how they use their optics. I am on the move quite a bit in thick stuff- so I like a 8x32/30 size around my neck. Have even used my 7x26 B&L Custom during early dry archery season. If I know I am going to be sitting for a while then I will use a spotter and either 8x or 10x40 on a tripod.

One way I have found that works for me when I am on the move and I want more power than what the 8x32 around my neck gives me is- instead of in my pack, I put a Nikon 13-40x ED 50 in the water bottle pocket on my pack instead on inside. It weighs less than a quart of water and is at my reach and I can quickly deploy it to get a 13x or more look at something. Can hand hold the 13x setting for a quick look and then can rest it against a tree for a higher power look. Of course the tripod for it is in the pack for times I want to sit down and glass. I have found this combo when on the move much more useful than just having 10x with me or carrying 10x around my neck all day. Plus the 8x to me is more useful in the setting I am in most of the time.

IMO- for western hunting you are going to want some sort of a spotter with you, or have access to one.