Originally Posted by Timberbuck
I use both 8x42 and 10x42 premium binoculars. My 10x is my major use binocular but I like to run a 8x when hunting the timber and less open country. Advantages of the 8x are a larger FOV, brighter and easier to look through and hold steady than a 10x. I will not drop down to a 8x32 class because of loss of brightness in low light.

Most will agree that a 10x42 is better in open country and that is true. The 10x50 class is even better in all aspects but I can't afford the extra weight /bulk when I am also carrying a spotter, tripod and rangefinder.

There is another area the 10x42 had an advantage over the 8x42 and you seldom see it mentioned. The extra resolution of the 10x over the 8x in low light gives the 10x advantages when trying to identify the quality (antlers) of game animals. I learned this the hard way while running a premium 8x42 against my friends premium 10x42 on a trophy deer hunt. This advantage is expressed in the twilight factor. The 8x is brighter but has less resolution / lower twilight factor than the 10x42.

The 10x is also excellent on a tripod for mid range glassing.

For the reasons stated above my 10x is usually my choice for most hunts.

This