Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Right now, however, I am guessing from various comments that some of the people who are strong proponents of 8x do a lot of their glassing unsupported, and at relatively close distances. (I may be wrong, but that's my guess.) One reason is the comments on the greater depth of field of 8x binoculars. This is true, but only to a limited extent. At any distance where you really need to sit down and glass the landscape, the depth of field of either 8x or 10x binoculars is infinite.

I actually do all of my glassing from a solid, supported rest. I also do some glassing from opportunity more or less impromptu as the situation presents itself. The latter really does not count as glassing in my book. Glassing is taking the time to dissect the scenery and look for what is there. I prefer 8x for that. However, I own several 10x glass and actually use it perhaps more than I maybe inferred I do. I find that Personally, I can't see what I can't see with 8x with 10x either. Personally, it is a different thing altogether at 12-15x. If I ever spring for an alpha glass, it'll be a Leica Duovid 8-12x42, simply for me, while 10x is not enough increase over 8x, 12x is.

However I have recently been using a 10x glass that I really like. It is the Option HR WP porro prism 10x42. Kind of narrow fov, but it has superior depth of field for a 10x. Worth a look.

I always thought that increased magnification and its increase in detail was a lot more apparent at close range than long.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"