Just got back from a Wyoming deer hunt. Had a chance to observe some Californicators in action. The first day they showed up they killed a small buck we had passed on at 470 yds. In a 20+mph wind. I asked what they were shooting - one said 338 Lapua (magnum) I asked if it was a Gunwerks, and they said no, but they had a gunwerks turret.

Next day they went out and shot another buck, the smaller of two that were there. There were 6 shots within 5 minutes, and then 3 more over the next hour and a half. Over the radio, they told their buddies that the shot was 760 yards. The wind was even more than the day before. > 25mph in the open. I even peed 12+ ft - the full length of the truck bed and 4 ft further! grin Not sure what the wind was where they were. Have to give them the benefit of doubt - 6 one shot kills; no wait, there were only two of them.

The day after that, we killed a deer in the same drainage. They and us were the only hunters in that drainage. While walking out to get pack frames, I encountered a dead deer in the same area where the deer were when they shot. The deer had been buried, and the head was still covered in dirt. There was about a 30ft diameter circle of bare ground where soil had been moved to cover the deer. I could see a 3" dia bloody spot on the left front shoulder, which I am guessing was a bullet exit wound. The head of the deer was still covered. I didn't smell a rotten deer, but didn't stick around long for further examination. Brother Griz was around somewhere near, and I thought it best to get out before it decided I was a threat.

I don't KNOW that these fellows shot the deer; I don't know if they had a pass-thru; i dont know if they followed up on the wrong deer; I don't know if they shot it and left it. But it is very likely that they were associated with this deer's demise. All of those things are possibilities at close range, and may be even more likely at long range. Something to think about before you pull the trigger.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. .