This thread reminds me of a Pigman show I watched. He picked up a big 30 cal based on the 500 Jeffery shooting 208's on the way out to an antelope hunt. I don't think he'd even fired the gun once before trying to take a 900+ yd shot at a middling buck in what looked to be gale force crosswinds. He hit the dirt about a truck-length downwind on the shot. It was pathetic. And everything that can be wrong with the LR game.

These Cally guys, I can't figure out WTF they were doing taking shots in 20+ winds, regardless of the gun or shooter ability. I couldn't do it, and wouldn't dare try. The 500+yd shots I see have air moving in at least two distinct directions because of ridgelines, etc.

I think the wind call is the thing, once load development and zeroing are done, and the trajectory is solved. I can't read wind for [bleep], I'll admit it. I pass on more shots than I take because of that. Some of you guys know your stuff, and can make sense of what the wind does. Do any of you take long shots at animals in 20mph+ winds?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.