n8dawg/others: There were two Classic Selects there; this one was used and the tag said "unfired"....who knows? Anyway it's very clean and the wood was darker and had more contrast than the other one.

I had a Montana 5-6 years ago that had chambering issues; I made the mistake of sending it back to Kimber. They screwed it up. I got discouraged. But this makes maybe 6-7 Roberts rifles I have owned and killed a lot of game mostly out west with an early PF M70,including the biggest pronghorn I ever killed,a big one that scored over 80 at about 400 yards.

My first Roberts was a pre 64 M70 that I shot many varmints with and the first rifle for which I ever hand loaded. I have also had the Rem 700 MR with both short and long magazines, all nice rifles,and a couple of Rugers.

This rifle is a far cry from that that first M70....lots lighter and handier. I am popping bases and rings on it as we speak.

I had not really paid attention before yesterday but factory ammo for the cartridge sure has changed. Back in the day you could get 117 RN loads that did about 2600 fps...I used them to make brass. Or some 100 gr loads I can't recall but none were as good as my hand loads.

I am really curious about the 117 SST Super Performance at an advertised 2945 fps,which is only about 100 fps below the same factory load for the 25/06.(who knows what it gives for speed). I also have some hand loads for the 100 gr NPT and H4350. I stole the load from John B,who recommended it. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.