Originally Posted by rost495
We don't freeze, so I have no clue when its cold what changes, but here, our predominant wind is from the water to the land, at least with our weatehr.

Didn't see frozen anything on that video.

But I will admit I have only watched it twice and neither one did I have it full screen etc.....

I would question why anyone would get htat close to a bear without solid winds in their favor. And why they would not back out if it started to change.... but again not my call.

A couple of thoughts�while onshore breezes are very common, especially as the sun hits land during the day, both mornings, and especially evenings perhaps, tend to be times when the air can shift 180� in just moments. In fact, it's not uncommon at all for very cold air shifts in the evenings right around sunset (out on the west coast). And these breezes might last for 5-10 minutes and then die. I'm thinking they probably wanted to get as close as they could with the bow, but wind is simply something that you can't predict for certain around that kind of terrain. I don't think freezing temps have anything to do with it as much as the sudden 20� temperature shifts you can get near big water.

A couple of thoughts relating to animals' senses�I recall one time when a dog I had who was very loyal to me heard my wife and I coming up the road in the twilight. He had alerted on us because he could see us coming but couldn't see us well enough to recognize us. Trying to get him to quiet down, I spoke to him but he wouldn't quiet down even though I'm sure he recognized my voice and his name. But once we got upwind, he shut right down and and postured a guilty pose.

And quite a few years ago, I was working the "s" part of a SAR for a party that had been missing for three weeks. I was searching a rocky coast line for remains or incidentals. At one point I was in a small cove (in bright sunlight) and came upon a good-sized bear trundling along on a sandy beach picking up bits of stuff with the tops of its claws and raising them to his lips. He was facing me between 50-75 feet away. I was idling along in my skiff with a 90 hp 2-stroke putting in gear. That animal could not have missed seeing or hearing me but it seemed to make no difference, �..until I felt the breeze hit the back of my neck. I was glad I was not closer because that animal became a virtual shiπ-rocket in its departure. wink The nose is to a bear what eyes are to humans, except that their nose works many times better than our eyes do.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.