Originally Posted by DocRocket
Sarge, I was responding your implication that 9mm bullets won't go through an intermediate barrier such as an arm or leg and continue into the body.

The 9mm bullet in question did not strike Platt's forearm. It entered his right upper arm above the elbow and passed transversely and superiorly through the upper arm, severing the brachial artery.

My bad... It was Platt's upper arm that took the Silvertip first. I have a copy Anderson's book but its been awhile since I read it. I tend to absorb the salient points from these things and move on from them.

Also, you have succumbed to the layman's assumption that a bullet in the heart is always immediately fatal, and this is simply not true, especially with handgun bullets. I am aware of numerous cases where GSW's to the ventricles were not only survivable, but the "victim" (often a felon, so I hesitate to use the term) was able to fight for an extended period of time after taking the GSW to his heart.

'Layman's assumption'... nice shot, but a miss.

I made no assertion about any heart shot being 'immediately fatal'- and you know perfectly well that's not what we're talking about here.

The wound probes and Xrays shown in photos in French Anderson's book (and his verbal description) show that the bullet was traversing superiorly at a modest angle (10 degrees or so). This means that even if the bullet had gone completely through his chest, its path would not have perforated any significant part of the heart.

So you're asserting that a second, perforating (exit) wound to the chest wall would have no effect on the Platt's ability to press the fight for four minutes?

If the incoming shot had impacted his spinal column with enough remaining momentum to disrupt it- still no difference?

And is a 115 grain 9mm Silvertip or 230 grain 45 FMJ more likely to go 'completely through the chest' and accomplish either?

As I said earlier, I don't care what you or anybody else carries. Just don't tell me a 9mm JHP will do the same damage when intervening limbs are hit.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ