35WhelenNut

When slo-mo videos show both 230 grain hollowpoints and 124 grain hollowpoints entering gel, they ultimately travel nearly identical distances before running out of juice.

Some people feel this equates to identical performance on flesh and bone, and couldn't be more wrong.

Like you, I understand that taking bone and clothing out of the equation, gives the 9mm reasonably equal footing in the penetration category, but one thing I note regularly with those tests, is the 9mm projectiles often begin to veer off course once their leaves open up.

My example of the 3 dimensional view of the target, requires a bullet that will have a better chance of traveling in the line intended, to the proper organs for lethality. The 230 grain, at modest velocities, will almost universally beat a smaller, lighter bullet in this category.

The .45 isn't a panacea. But it's a serious contender.
The 9mm isn't bad, but when push comes to shove, its only advantage is capacity. Less recoil should "Never" be considered an advantage.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain