One more caveat, all of the scope failure's I discussed and observed were (are, present tense, in the case of my scope) Vari-X lll's. I have zero experience with the VX-R line and Leupold very well may have added sideways protections in the scope tube on these to keep the bias springs in place under the event of a hard bump from the side as well as lots of vibrations and jarring during various types of travel in the back country.

Also, if the rifle will never see use against Dangerous Game or severe travel abuse then having a scope go bad at the wrong time is not nearly so great a disaster. For example, my Vari X lll 4.5x14 gloss that is going back to Leupold for repairs will go right back on my 7mm Mashburn Super. I do not and would not have that rifle along on a expensive guided hunt or a hunt for something that bites back. Missing a Mule Deer 30 miles from home is no big deal and I like the optics and other features of the scope enough to keep hunting with it and local deer hunting plus showing it off to friends etc. here at home is about all that rifle does.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500