I just like 30mm scopes more than 1" scopes on most things. They look better to my eye. I bought a set of the Alaska Arms 30mm rings with the intentions of putting a larger tube on it. The gun is not a lw gun by any means (and for good reason) so a few extra oz's of scope weight isn't gonna affect it much. I know the 30mm tube provides no more light gathering and I don't intend to spin turrets on this one. The barrel has been cut to 21" and I'm gonna have a NECG front sight installed one of these days when I get around to it.

A little back story on the 550....

This is more of a project gun for me than anything. I picked it up for a very good price with a bunch of ammo, brass, bullets and dies. The stock needs a lot of tlc, but, as it sits now it is still fully functional. Some Joe Bob did a crappy job of trying to add finish to the stock (which is why it was cheap) and I had been wanting a stock to practice some wood finishing skills on. So this one seemed to provide that for me. The recoil pad was replaced with a Simms and a crappy job was done on it as well. The gun functions flawlessly and shoots well so I think when I'm all done I will have a nice rifle that at 21" is very handy for my intended purposes. I guess when I'm done I will have it set up the way I want it and know that I brought it back from certain demise!! Lol. The next step is gonna be strip the stock, touch it up a bit and start applying a hand rubbed finish. I do keep my eye out for a replacement stock though just incase this one doesn't work out quiet the way I want it to. Also a classic looking red pad will be added in place of the Simms.

Kind of a long story but I figured I'd fill you guys in with what I'm doing and my line of thinking on it. As crazy as it may be at times!! Lol

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.