My son has convinced me to take him sheep hunting in 2015. Down 15 pounds but 80 pounds to go. Also lightening up my gear. Have rethought everything. Ringing out a Forbes 20B in 308 with a VXII 3-9x40 with CDS. It's working pretty well. Evolved my stove choice from a Svea 123, used when I was last a back-packer; to a Jet boil, to playing with alcohol, and finally settled on an MSR pocket rocket married to an Optimus weekender heat exchanger pot. I am getting unbelievable boil times!

Switched to a tarp with optional bug nest from Bear Paw Designs. Sub three pound three person shelter! Using an old Mighty Mite down bag or my son and I might both take our Woobies and cuddle up. Experimenting with light clothing systems and seeing if moving away from Impertech and Wool is doable. Salewa Repace books fit..took a long time to find such a good fitting boot. Will be doing lots of practice trips to ring out gear and work on fitness. I put my first part thoughts in a video and would invite comment from experienced back-country backpack hunters.

Only thing I Know for sure is that my Dana Designs Astroplane will be coming with me. It's a wonder, and at 7 pounds isn't light but it seems to have an anti-gravity device built into the suspension!

Anyway, advice welcome. I have a lot to learn and a lot of pounds to lose in both my gear and my gut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUiSlhirqSY&list=UUMrvqN2-Jr7OAnV0ceWlkmw