If a trip is really long I'll be closer to 1.5 pounds than 2. But food is a different 'kind' of weight in the pack. It dissapears during the trip, and is generally not carried out. It's not like an ice axe or the SAT phone case - something that's heavy in and heavy out.

On a 10 day Brooks Range hunt 2 of us did carry in 35 pounds worth of food, but combined weight we were well under 100 pounds total including rifle (my pack weighed just under 50 while his weighed around 45). We did the hike in off the road thing too, and all told hiked over 60 miles between camps and then another 30 or so out of our various camps. On the way out our packs were both over 100 pounds because we were carrying meat - but by that time they only contained 5 pounds or so of food.

I eat the heavy stuff first and really don't mind going heavy on the food because as I said I am not carrying it out.

Another thing to consider is how much space something takes up in your pack. I'd rather something be more compact than a tiny bit lighter. My biggest complaint with mountain house meals is how much space they take up. Same goes for synthetic sleeping bags. I prefer down not because it is lighter but because it is so much more compact. And those propane canisters take up a lot of space too!