Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by castnblast
I don't have gear advice but congratulate you on setting your goal and your progress to date.

+1, nothing like a mountain hunt for motivation. You may want to check the conditioning thread on this forum to see what some other guys are doing.

As far as gear, you are on the right track in focusing on the your heaviest items--tent, bag, and sleeping pad. I didn't see you mention the pad but you may want to check out the Thermarest Neoair, and think about bringing a lightweight closed-cell foam pad like a 3/4 length z-rest to use in combination with it and to sit on while glassing, eating lunch, etc.

As far as a tent, I'm not experienced in hunting up there but my personal preference would not be a tarp that needs to be rigged using trekking poles in that location above treeline, especially with a down bag. You can get blasted with wind and rain, and I'd think you might want to consider a more bomb-proof shelter, even at the penalty of an extra pound or three. And personally I'd go with a synthetic bag and insulating layer, I'm not sure treated down has stood up to the test of time.

Lots of experienced AK guys here, hopefully they will chime in.

Nice rifle.

Thanks Mate...forgot to put in the pad but my son and I each bought a neo-air last summer when they were on sale. Impressive piece of technology, light comfortable and warm. Will use the tarp a bunch on training runs and if it isn't up to scratch I have been impressed with some of the Big Agnes 3 man offerings. I am resisting though. Andrew Skurka is a tarp guy even on his amazing cross Alaska/Yukon hike. The tarp requires skill in set up and site selection that looks like fun to learn. I have used a tarp tent and wasn't impressed with the moisture handling. I will give the tarp a whirl!