Improper stock fit affects felt recoil, trigger pull, shouldering and relative stability when shooting offhand. Even from a field rest, so-so stock fit can make things more difficult.

While many people do not like plastic, stocks can be easier to design and adapt to length of pull and rise. Fitted stocks can also be made more cheaply, and corrected without a trip to the gun shop, which keeps cost down.

Spacers, pads, cheek rests and accessory rails have been incorporated in the high end plastic stocks, and we should see that convenience filter down to less expensive ones in the future.

Of course, price is usually a prohibitive factor for many. Aluminum bedding rails and attaching parts are cheaper to manufacture and install, but the newness made them more 'spensive.

Now that the method is in common usage, stocks (and fit) should be less expensive and easier to do.

Edited to add: I bought an ugly Choate Varmint stock that I could play with. It cost $250 CDN, which I still think was 'spensive, but it shoots tiny little groups. I made a 6x45 using a Stevens 200 action. It's not a benchrest rifle, but it's accurate and fun to shoot.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]