I like fooling with rifles.. When I was about 16 I had a custom .30-06 built and put the best scope I could afford at the time.. It was a B & L 2.5-8. Still have the rifle and the scope.. For about 10 years it was my main big game rifle, and also shot lots of varmints.. But I almost always had a varmint rifle in the rack too.. When I was in my early 20's, the .300's hit the market.. I built one, and it along with others are my serious big game rifles.. But along the way I have used most calibers from the .17 Rem. though the .45-70. I have counted lately but I have small .22 center fires, hot .22's .243, 250 sav. 25/06. On up though the .45-70.. But about 40 years ago my three favorite calibers were the .22-250, 25-06 and .300 WM.. They still are my favorites.. for gophers and p. dogs I would add a .222 or .223..
I want good bullets, speed and flat traj. until the advent of turrets and rangefinders, I needed that to be successful in my hunting.. Even today, much of the game I hunt is not going to stand around while I range it, run the turretsjudge the wind, and finally shoot.. If I have time, that is great, but on public land one often does not get that chance.. Finally, I am willing to shoot to about 500 yd. on some game in some places.. But I seldom shoot beyond that distance.. So these calibers fit my needs perfectly.. There are many others that will do equally well, but these rifles fit me best..

Molon Labe