1. Does it fill a need or want? Wants are never to be underestimated, regardless of other usefulness. Needs are arbitrary as well. �I [ want | need ] , therefore I shall have.�

2. Can I get it for a reasonable price? New is nice, like new for less is better, gently used for even less is just as good.

3. Is it redundant with other rifles I have? Doesn�t matter. See #1 above.

4. Cost and availability of factory ammo and brass? If $70 per box or $2 per case, no thanks.

5. Availability of good bullets? Can�t buy .375g jacketed bullets for my .375 Win right now, when/if they become available, I need to stock up.

6. Is it a collector item, fancy grade, commemorative or other special rifle? Forget it.

Last year I sold one of four .30-06�s, a Ruger American, to purchase a Ruger Scout in .308 Win. Didn�t need the .30-06, and had sold my .308�s a couple years previous to fund a ARs in .223/5.56 and .300BLK. didn�t need the .308W Scout, either � it was a case of want.

Also sold a beautiful, nickel-plated, tack-driving Ruger #1 in .280 Rem to purchase ... a Ruger All-Weather in ... .280 Rem. The #1 had scratched an itch and was lots of fun but really didn�t suit my hunting needs. The All-Weather is mo� betta.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.