Not dead by a long shot. IMHO, it only seems that way because there is a big market for muzzle loaders just to get a jump or extension on deer season. The scopes & inline demand is driven by state regulations. The hunters just want the most practical gun to get the job done.

Yes, there were a lot of semi authentic, cheaper muzzle loaders in the past. Those were mostly purchased by deer hunters. Now that business is gone inline/plastic and scope. I have several old TC's. Solid guns for fair price, but not real nostalgic stuff either. The Lyman guns seem to be as good as Thompson ever was. I think much better.

For the true beliver, there are more and better replicas than ever. And seems the Italian imports still available in more versions than ever. Google Pedersol: Gibbs, Mortimer, authentic muskets.I dont know the quality, but there are dozens of models! The more authentic guns probably tend to cost more, on average. And low production cost more.

How many of you traditional guys use real black powder?

I really wish the states would require true authentic guns and ammo. What is the big challenge with an inline scoped gun? Where to draw the line? I propose: Fixed iron sights, real black powder, lead balls (or bullets no sabot) and guns that look the part.